Compare by CANADIAN province

Property Value :
Property Type:
City   :
State/Province :
Best Commission Rate


Alberta is a western Canadian prairie province bordering British Columbia, the Northwest Territories, and the U.S. state Montana. It is Canada's fourth-most populous province and the most populated of the prairie provinces. It has a population of over 3.6 million people and includes several tourist destinations.

General Real Estate Market Conditions in Alberta

In 2013 the mean listing in Alberta was $385,217, up 5.3 per cent from its mean price at the same time in 2012. As of November of 2013, total housing sales are up 9.5 per cent from the previous year.


Alberta has a total area of 661,848 square kilometres and is Canada's fourth largest province. It has an ample amount of rivers and lakes, most notably Lake Claire, Lesser Slave Lake, and Lake Athabasca. Although the southeastern region contains a dry semi-arid steppe, the province has adequate water resources the supply the entirety of Alberta. Its longest river, Athabasca River, runs from the Rocky Mountains to Lake Athabasca. The capital city of Edmonton is Canada's northernmost major city and as such features much of the nation's northern research and development. Alberta is covered by forest to the north and prairies to the south, with the Rocky Mountain range scaling the southwestern border. Its southeastern badlands consists of the Red Deer River and multiple canyons.


The continental climate of Alberta makes for cold winters and warm summers. Due to Arctic air masses, winters in Alberta can range from temperatures in the negative fifties in the north to the negative forties in the south. The summer temperatures tend to remain at warm thirties in higher regions to hot forties down in the south. The western region of the province has a much more moderate climate due to mountains and warm chinook winds. Central Alberta is the second most likely province to experience tornadoes, and summers often experience severe thunderstorms. The Calgary-Edmonton Corridor, meanwhile, gets the most hail in Canada.


The population of Alberta is 3,645,257 and has a 5.69 per square kilometre density. Alberta's census identifies as 27.2 per cent English, 20.9 per cent German, 20.5 per cent Canadian, 20.3 per cent Scottish, 16.6 per cent Irish, 11.9 per cent French, 10.2 per cent Ukrainian, 5.3 per cent Dutch, 5.2 per cent North American Indian, 5.2 per cent Polish, 4.4 per cent Norwegian, and 4.2 per cent Chinese. About 81 per cent of the population resides in cities with the remaining 19 per cent living in rural locales.

Main Attractions

Alberta's major tourist attractions include thirteen national and historic parks, the Rocky Mountain House historic site and Alberta Prairie Railway excursions in Alberta Central, the Columbia Icefield, and the TELUS World of Science in Edmonton area. The province boasts a wealth of historic forts and museums, particularly Oil Sands Discovery Centre in Alberta Central and the Military Museums in Calgary area.


Alberta's economy rests strongly on petroleum as well as agriculture and technology. Its GDP was C$311,898 million as of 2012. Alberta has been ranked by the Fraser Institute as Alberta's freest economy and the second-freest economy in Canada and the U.S. combined.